Cell Talk News
Jennifer Sauter, MD, Claire Michael, MD, Israh Akhtar, MD, Yanjun Hou, MD and Paul Staats, MD
New Round of Cell Talk Awardees Announced
A new Cell Talk has been selected for production. This Cell Talk proposal was chosen from a strong group of submissions received before the December 2018 deadline. Thank you to everyone who submitted!
Lama Farchoukh Farhat, MD
University of Pittsburgh Medical Center
Mentor: Sara Monaco, MD
Have you heard about Cell Talks?
Cell Talks were developed by the Cytopathology Program Directors Committee (CPDC) of the ASC to aid residents and cytopathology fellows to achieve and document progress through selected ACGME Cytopathology Milestones. Completion of these modules can help Program Directors and clinical competency committee members decide at which level a resident or fellow should be scored on individual milestones.
What exactly are Cell Talks?
- Bite-sized, online didactic modules approximately 15 minutes in length.
- Cover a variety of topics that go beyond medical knowledge and are difficult to teach and learn at the microscope, related to professionalism, cultural competency, cytopathology lab management, etc.
- Directly links the subject matter to a specific portion of a milestone(s).
- Can be used to complement or supplement an existing cytopathology curriculum.
- Each Cell Talk is followed by 3-5 review questions.
How can I get involved?
- Encourage a resident or fellow (along with a faculty mentor) to submit a Cell Talk!
- The submission process including suggested topics and a template to use is available at cytopathology.org/celltalks.
- The CPDC provides feedback on submitted presentations and chooses the winners twice a year.
- Applications are due in early December and early May.
- Winners receive production support for recording their Cell Talk and a $125 monetary award.
What else should I know?
- Access to previously recorded Cell Talks is free to ASC members!
- The CPDC welcomes feedback on the Cell Talks program.
- Crafting a submission may fulfill scholarly activity requirements.
NEXT SUBMISSION DEADLINE – December 1, 2019
- Preparing for a CAP Inspection
- Coding and Billing in Cytology
- Cultural Competency: An Essential Skill in the Practice of Cytopathology
- Meet the Organizations
- Role of the Cytopathologist in the Healthcare Team
- Wise as a Cell! (Become a Better Communicator)
- Cervical Cancer Screening Guidelines 2012 Update—What has Changed?
- Choosing an HPV Assay
- Rules & Regulations: Cervical Cancer Screening
- Ultrasound-guided FNA & Role of the Cytopathology Fellow in Clinical Practice
- Role of Cytopathologists from Technical Management to the Health Care Team
- Cytology Proficiency Testing
- Thyroid FNA Complications: Common Problems & Management
- Critical Values in Cytopathology: Communicating Urgent or Unexpected Diagnoses
- Hiring & Firing: Laws and Good Practice
- Using Personality Classifications for Better Personnel Management
- Professionalism 1: Receives and Provides Feedback Effectively
- Evidence-based Principles: Critical Appraisal of Publications in Anatomical Pathology Literature
- Cytotechnologist Performance Evaluation
- Thin Prep Imaging System for Cervical Screening
- Time Out! How, Why and When to Use a Time Out during Fine Needle Aspiration